Job Opportunity: Data Governance Research Fellow.
Job Title: Research Fellow – Data Governance
Department: Strathmore University – Centre for Intellectual Property and Information
Technology Law (CIPIT)
Reporting to: Director, CIPIT; Research Manager, CIPIT
Basic job Summary: CIPIT is launching a Data Governance Research Centre (DGRC). The DGRC
is a centre within CIPIT that will centralize all CIPIT research into issues of data governance. The
purpose of this Research Fellow position is to plan, coordinate, and implement research projects
under the DGRC, in accordance with University strategy, policy and procedures, and the funder
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Undertake research activities and investigations in collaboration with and under the
supervision of the Research Manager and the Director in order to realize the objectives and
development of the specific research programmes for the DGRC.
- Work as Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator on IT Research Projects, specifically
those related to Data Governance, being mutually supportive and covering duties as
necessary during colleagues’ absences and at times of additional pressure, as directed.
- Responsible for studying the existing policies and procedures in the countries of study that
ensure data is used and governed properly.
- Convene, facilitate, and support data governance meetings, both internally at Strathmore
and externally with stakeholders.
- Develop high quality reports, academic papers and journal articles of publishable standard
based on the analysis of data and literature with a clear and engaging writing style.
- Develop ideas for generating research funding, promoting research and influencing leading edge research practice.
- Make presentations at national or international conferences or exhibit work in other
appropriate events of a similar standing and identify ways to disseminate research outputs
informally via various forms of public engagement.
- Coordinate output (including the CIPIT blog, podcast, and other platforms), including
contributing articles and reviewing guest posts as well as write and edit various
publications, and assist with communication of research reports related to Data
- Assist the Research Manager and Director on any CIPIT projects or activities having a
Minimum Requirements: Core Qualifications
- Minimum of a master’s degree in Law, Political Science, or relevant Social Science.
Candidates with a Ph.D. will be considered favourably.
- Relevant experience in research in law/policy for ICT, and particularly Data Governance. 2
years of relevant working experience or more is preferred.
- Only candidates willing to take a full-time position will be considered.
- Possess sufficient specialist knowledge in the discipline of ICT law/policy to develop
research programmes and methodologies. Special consideration will be given for national
or international recognition as an authority in the subject area.
- Extensive experience in establishing and executing data governance or data engagement
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in enterprise data management, data governance, and
data quality principles and methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience in cross collaborating with multiple teams – change management
and communications planning and execution expertise is a plus
- Ability to effectively challenge all levels of an organization and offer value-add solutions
to meet data governance objectives. Strong experience in stakeholder engagement, and
people and relationships management are required.
- Proven academic track record and a strong publication record.
- Experience in managing research projects and teams.
Competencies and Attributes
- Integrity and high professional standard
- Commitment to duty
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication skills
- Dependable and a problem solver
- Analytical and Organizational Skills
- Attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Applications: Excel, Word.
- Technical competency (including familiarity with common programming languages) will
be considered a plus.
Are you qualified for this position and interested in working with us? We would like to hear from
you. Kindly send us a copy of your updated resume (or CV) and a letter of application (ONLY)
quoting “Research Fellow – CIPIT” on the subject line to email@example.com by 5th January
Due to the large number of applications we may receive, kindly note that only the shortlisted
candidates will be contacted.
Download PDF document here