Episode 10: The US Kenya FTA: What to look out for in Digital Trade and IP Chapters
In continuing with our series on the US-Kenya FTA, this week’s episode grapples with some of the main areas, that may be included in the FTA, that we are pondering on in digital trade and intellectual property. The host for this episode is Dr. Melissa Omino, and the guests are Abdulmalik Adan and Joanna Kahumbu.
- TRIPS – https://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/27-trips.pdf
- Japan – US FTA – https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/000527401.pdf
Update on the US Kenya FTA materials:
US Negotiation Objectives available here: https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/Summary_of_U.S.-Kenya_Negotiating_Objectives.pdf
Kenya Negotiation Objectives available here: http://www.industrialization.go.ke/index.php/kenya-usa-free-trade-area-agreement
Information on the virtual first phase of negotiations obtained here: http://www.industrialization.go.ke/index.php/kenya-usa-free-trade-area-agreement/580-joint-statement-between-the-united-states-and-kenya-on-the-launch-of-negotiations-towards-a-free-trade-agreement
- Digital Economy Blueprint, 2019 – https://ca.go.ke/the-digital-economy-blueprint
- Draft Digital Economy Strategy, 2020 – https://ict.go.ke/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/10TH-JULY-FINAL-COPY-DIGITAL-ECONOMY-STRATEGY-DRAFT-ONE.pdf
- National ICT Policy, 2019 – https://www.ict.go.ke/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/NATIONAL-ICT-POLICY-2019.pdf
- Data Protection Act, 2019 – http://kenyalaw.org/kl/fileadmin/pdfdownloads/Acts/2019/TheDataProtectionAct__No24of2019.pdf
- Finance Act, 2019 – http://kenyalaw.org/kl/fileadmin/pdfdownloads/AmendmentActs/2019/FinanceAct_No23of2019.PDF
- Finance Act, 2020 – http://kenyalaw.org/kl/fileadmin/pdfdownloads/Acts/2020/TheFinanceAct_No.8of2020.pdf
- Comments submitted to USTR available at https://beta.regulations.gov/docket/USTR-2020-0011/document
- United States – Kenya Negotiations, Summary of Specific Negotiating Objectives, May 2020, available at https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/Summary_of_U.S.-Kenya_Negotiating_Objectives.pdf
- Giest M, ‘The trouble with the TPP’s copyright rules’, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, 2016, available at https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/National%20Office/2016/07/Trouble_with_TPPs_Copyright_Rules.pdf
- Knopt H, ‘The cost of Canadian IP Capitulation in NAFTA’, Excess Copyright, 01 October 2018, available at http://excesscopyright.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-cost-of-canadian-ip-capitulation-in.html?m=1
- Knopt H, ‘The Cost of Canadian Copyright Term Extension Capitulation in the TPP – Estimates based upon New Zealand Study’,17 November 2015, available at https://excesscopyright.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-cost-of-canadian-copyright-term.html
- Collins-Chase CT, ‘The case against TRIPS-plus protection in developing countries facing AIDS epidemics’ 29(3), University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law, 2008.
- Lindstrom B, ‘Scaling back TRIPS: An analysis of intellectual property provisions in trade agreements and implications for Asia and the Pacific’ 42(3), New York University Journal of International Law and Politics, 2010.
- Morin JF, ‘Multilateralizing TRIPS-Plus Agreements: Is the US Strategy a Failure?’ 12(3), The Journal of World Intellectual Property, 2009.
- Berger J and Prabhala A, ‘Assessing the impact of TRIPS-plus patent rules in the proposed US-SACU free trade agreement’, 2005, available at https://www.who.int/hiv/amds/capacity/tza2_oxfamreport_pricing_financing.pdf
- Baird S, ‘Magic and Hope: Relaxing TRIPS-plus provisions to promote access to affordable pharmaceuticals’ 32(1), Boston College Journal of Law and Social Justice, 2013.
- Gathii JT, ‘The Neoliberal Turn in Regional Trade Agreements’ 86(3), Washington Law Review, 2011.
- Afronomicslaw.org Webinar V: “Exploring Paths Towards an Ideal US Kenya FTA for Kenya”, 01 September 2020, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHPY9Jve97Y&t=1254s